March 3, 2014

1, 2, 3... An App-tastic Monday!

Well, we are home today with yet another snow day...  Living in southeast VA, it is quite unusual for us to miss more than maybe one or two school days a season, but today is our 6th day home this winter so far!  Wow!  What a strange winter this has been.  Yesterday my husband and I took a walk at the park to enjoy the nice 70 degree weather and today we get ice and snow.  Gotta love Virginia weather.  I'm guessing we will be home tomorrow too since our streets are still a sheet of ice.

I recently found some new apps I have shared with my teachers, so I thought you might like them, too. 
 
#1  The first is Tellagami.  Create awesome animated videos called a "Gami"!  Students create an avatar using the simple tools in the program.  They can either choose a background in the free pack, draw their own background, or upload one from the iPad library.  Then students can type what they want the avatar to say and choose a voice or they can record their own voice.  I can see students uploading pictures of historical events or places and then talking about them!  The video can be shared via email or social network or can be downloaded to the iPad library.  I am getting ready to work with classes who are studying famous Americans and I hope to use this app with them. 
 
 
Click this link to see a Gami that I created for my teachers.
 
#2  The second is ChatterPix Kids.  ChatterPix Kids can make anything "talk".  Import a photo, drawing, or clipart, draw a line for a mouth and record your voice.  The app will create a video of your person or object talking.  So, how can you use this?  Have your students draw a character from a book, then have the character "talk" about the book.  Or use pictures of famous people recording facts about that person.  I'm sure you will come up with some great ideas for using this app! 
 
 
#3  The last app I want to tell you about today is an awesome fractions app called Fractions by Brainingcamp.  This FREE fractions app has everything you need for teaching and learning.  For each topic there is a narrated lesson, practice questions, virtual manipulatives and a challenging game.  Students can "write" on the app like a white board as well as manipulate fractions pieces.
Topics covered include:
  • Fractions Intrroduction
  • Equivalent Fractions
  • Common Denominator
  • Comparing and Ordering Fractions
  • Adding and Subtracting Fractions
  • Multiplying Fractions
  • Dividing Fractions
 



 
I hope you get some use out of these apps.  Enjoy your snow day if you are having one after this storm.  Since I started this post, I have received "the call" that we will be home again tomorrow.  

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment